Pages

July 19, 2016

Some Like It Hot



My roses are pathetic this time of year, not so my gingers.  While gingers can't tolerate much sun, they handle our nearly daily 100 degree temperatures unfazed.  I've only grown most of my gingers for three years, but I'll continue to add varieties.  I find them easy to live with, needing little care, although some do need a good bit of elbow room.  'Dr. Moy' Ginger is a large plant that needs growing space, but her blooms are exquisite...she's just begun.



Another large ginger, 'Disney',  has been blooming for several weeks.  She still has new buds developing.





Curcumas, or hidden gingers, are a much smaller plant, rarely over two feet tall.  They make themselves right at home with caladiums, coleuses, ferns, and so on.







Out front in my full sun yard, there are a few daylilies on their second or third round of blooms,  The old fashioned yellow and oranges always repeat bloom.



The wild hibiscus love the heat...they bloom from July until frost.



I have lavender ground orchids that bloom in spring, but these yellows wait for summer.  They're planted in an area that gets only morning sun.



Desert Rose, it's name implies it can take heat, and it will.



Two more lovers of our summer heat, a  Thryallis bush, and the blue butterfly bush, Clerodendrum 'ugandense'.  Perfect shrubs for a full sun garden.



Coneflowers are also unaffected by their spot in the sun.



Tithonia is a magnet for butterflies, and stands up to the heat.





Hamelia patens, Firebush, also draws in many butterflies and hummingbirds.



That's what's blooming here in my 'Garden On Fourth Street'.  I hope summer is treating you and  your gardens well.  Thanks for visiting!



11 comments:

  1. So many beautiful blooms! I am patiently awaiting for my tithonia to begin spreading this year. I love the shot of yours with the bee on it! Isn't it wonderful that so many flowers don't mind the heat? Gives me something to look at while I'm sitting in the A/C!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So thankful for the A/C this time of year! I've always been 'in love' with summer, but find myself yearning for fall this year.

      Delete
  2. Love your gingers, especially the Disney. It is very unique. I've got to find room for the Mexican sunflower. So pretty! Hope you're getting rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, we were totally dry for weeks, but rain found us the last three afternoons. It's so nice to be able to wander around outside after the rains have cooled things down for the evening.

      Delete
  3. I really like your hidden gingers--they look so cool and soft and fresh. And they're so pretty with the caladiums--such a wonderful combination. I am always amazed at how colorful your shade gardens are! Everything is arranged so artistically!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie. This time of year I find myself wishing the entire property was one big shade garden, but then I'd regret it in winter.

      Delete
  4. Hello Janice! I have some catching up to do! A construction project at the house has been eating up a lot of my time recently. Everything looks so lovely in your garden despite this intense heat. I love how you have planned so well for summer color...something I need to get better at doing. The gingers are so lovely and look so exotic. Do you find them locally or get them from a specialty nursery? I have lots of areas where they could go so I need to look into getting more. Lovely to see photos,of your garden and apologies for my absence!
    - Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! I got all your lovely comments-thanks. I get all my gingers, and some other plants from a really neat nursery that's just a few miles from me. It's called 'Kenny's Place', and their purpose is to train mentally challenged young adults in horticulture. They root everything they sell from their 'mother plants', and are constantly dividing the gingers. So glad you got some Tithonia-we had a nasty wind storm a week or so ago and it nearly flattened mine, but it was beautiful while it lasted! _Janice

      Delete
  5. Hi Janice! I think I'm in love with Dr. Moy! Wow is that a gorgeous ginger. As are all of your gingers and everything else!!! Thanks for your wonderful comment on my blog - a very nice welcoming back - thank you! Are you inland quite a ways? We've just come in 20 miles from the coast and I think I'm going to have a hotter environment to work with. I'll be taking notes from your vegetable garden as I hope I can have a little one now that I've got a fence to keep most of the critters out. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn! So glad that you can have a veggie patch now! I'm planning to do a fall garden around the end of September - I've sworn off gardening until then - it's too darn hot. And yes, I am inland. We're in Belleview, which is just about the middle of the state. No sea breezes for me (sigh). Hope you're having a great week! _Janice

      Delete
  6. I see where you are now - thanks! You're about 6 hours north of me. I can't believe how long it takes to drive the length of Florida, ha! I think I'm waiting until next month too because it is super humid and buggy and we've just got tons of rain again. I'm so anxious though :)

    ReplyDelete