Pages

May 28, 2016

Gardens Attract The Best Visitors


Gardens bring rewards in addition to beautiful  blooms, fresh food, and a healthier body.  As we provide shelter and nourishment for birds and butterflies, we receive the joy of viewing some of nature's loveliest creations close up.  The garden is never more alive and enchanting than when you step into it and see butterflies dancing across the top of blooms.  My Pagoda Flowers have been luring Zebra Longwing butterflies in for weeks.







Pagoda Flowers also entice our smallest feathered friends...a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird.



My bed of Zinnias is where the butterflies are always cavorting.  I can see about half this border from my kitchen window and it's lovely to watch them fluttering from flower to flower.  A Gulf Fritillary...



This Buckeye butterfly is one of the first I've seen this season...



And these little guys, I don't know that I've ever seen them before.  A pair of tiny Fiery Skippers.



This next photo is also a Skipper, Horace's Duskywing.



There have been a lot of Spicebush Swallowtails in the garden also, but they are probably the most nervous butterflies I've ever seen.  This one finally sat for half a second...



Male, Ruby-throated Hummingbird on magenta  'Wendy's Wish' Salvia.



A 'mama' Eastern Bluebird nesting for the second time this season.



Another female Ruby-throated Hummingbird dining on a Hardy Red Gloxinia.  I've been spreading this plant around my shade gardens as it just has the look of  what a hummingbird would want.







Everything is still blooming with wild abandon, although our full sun, rainless days are rushing the blooms toward decline quicker than I would like.  Daylilies, agapanthus, and roses...





Gaura doesn't mind the heat, it sheds it's blooms at the end of each day and begins anew each morning.



Sunny in the morning...



The only shady spot in my front gardens in the afternoon.



I hope you're all having a great weekend...happy gardening.



7 comments:

  1. What great shots of butterflies and hummers!

    You really have a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a nice holiday ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I hate to be jealous . . . such an unbecoming emotion . . . but those shots of the hummingbirds make me weak with jealousy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely photos of some really beautiful butterfly visitors Janice! Wonderful shots too of the hummers! Your garden is alive with so many pretty visitors and beautiful blooms. Hope you have had a lovely Memorial Weekend!
    - Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an array of butterflies and hummers! What a beautiful place to visit. You really should give garden tours! ;0D Enjoy your critters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great pictures! I didn't know zinnias were so popular with butterflies--now I've got another good reason to plant some. I really like your gloxinias--what an interesting shape the flowers have, and they're such a pretty color. Love the gaura and pink roses together--what a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful - Amazing shots with the hummingbirds!! I can understand why so many butterflies and birds would want to hang out in your garden.

    ReplyDelete